POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The world is flat! : Re: The world is flat! Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The world is flat!
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 25 Oct 2005 08:45:00
Message: <web.435e28311389c621731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote:
> "the world is flat!" exclaimed Louis Wu when he set foot on the Ringworld
> for the first time. And indeed it is. This is a fast construction in Moray
> of the Ringworld, exactly to scale, but without the Shadow Squares and
> without atmosphere or landscaping. The Rim Walls are hardly visible in the
> distance. During day light, the world and atmophere would seem flat, the
> Arch of Heaven being hidden.

According to my calculations, the rim walls would have an angular size of
about 7 minutes of arc, viewed from the middle of the Ring. With atmosphere
and landscape, all but invisible.

I find it mildly annoying that, from its surface, the Ringworld would look
no more exciting than a flat earth! One would only get a true sense of
scale and spectacle  from hundreds of miles in the air...

Bill (secretly building a Dyson sphere in his garden shed)