POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Black Pearl (no, not a sailing ship!) : Re: Black Pearl (no, not a sailing ship!) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black Pearl (no, not a sailing ship!)
From: ts
Date: 22 Oct 2005 00:25:00
Message: <web.4359bde945d6fa38f0d571b50@news.povray.org>
Rick Measham <rickm*at%isite.net.au> wrote:
> ts wrote:
> > i may have messed up on that code Rick ...
> > try the following instead ...
> > playing with the variable "Trans" to tweak the transparency.
>
> Closer, closer, ever closer... thanks ts!
>
> Clasp is getting closer too.
>
> Cheers!
> Rick Measham

yes.
although, with zero transmit ...
you are going to miss out on the translucence ...
because then the interior layer is not seen at all.
so perhaps using a somewhat less white underlayer ...
along with playing with the specular ...
will allow you to use at least some transparency
in the black outer texture.
also ... in my example there is nothing for the
pearl to reflect ... whereas in yours, there are
lighter things which will also lighten the surface.
so you may want to lower the reflection of that
outer texure as well.
i have found that the lighting, skysphere and even
background greatly alter the effect precisely because
they do get reflected. no problem  except when you
want black. ;)
so it takes a lot of tweaking and fine tuning for
any other changes you make in the scene.
if you want to emphisize the 'black' of the pearl ...
you will have to minimize what is there for it
to reflect.

looking good.

-ts-