POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Black Pearl (no, not a sailing ship!) : Re: Black Pearl (no, not a sailing ship!) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black Pearl (no, not a sailing ship!)
From: ts
Date: 21 Oct 2005 12:45:01
Message: <web.43591aed45d6fa38cb16d5100@news.povray.org>
Rick Measham <rickm*at%isite.net.au> wrote:
> Rick Measham wrote:

> Notes:
> - I've used/changed the texture provided by 'ts'

i may have messed up on that code Rick ...
try the following instead ...
playing with the variable "Trans" to tweak the transparency.

//------- Pearlescent Texture -----------
#declare Rmin=.1;
#declare Rmax=.33;
#declare Trans=.5; //Alter transmission of outer texture
#declare T_inner=White; #declare T_outer=Black; // *****
//#declare T_inner=Silver; #declare T_outer=Black;
//#declare T_inner=Yellow; #declare T_outer=Red; //easier to see the results
in color

#declare TOpal=
    texture{pigment{rgb T_inner} finish{specular 1 metallic roughness .1
brilliance 25}}
    texture{pigment{rgb T_outer transmit Trans}
      finish{specular 1 roughness .0125 diffuse 1-Rmax reflection{Rmin,Rmax}
conserve_energy}
    }

The attached file shows the results of using White as the inner
texture and transparent Black as the outer ...
the upper left sphere being the inner texture alone ...
then with Black at 0.9 transmit, 0.8 going left to right ...
the 2nd row down 0.7, 0.6, 0.5 ... ect all the way to 0 transparency
bottom center.
It may be easier to see if you uncomment the Yellow/Red pigment line above
and of course one can use Silver or even one of the Metal textures for
the inner.

I haven't tried adding a bump normal ...
not sure one can with layer textures.
and suggestions in that area would be appreciated.

> Thoughts/Comments/Suggestions always welcome. Source available on request.
>
> Cheers!
> Rick Measham

sure ... please do post the source ...
I never have done well using diamonds so ...
would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.

-ts-

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'blackpearl.jpg' (87 KB)