POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brig Niagara WIP (34k) : Re: Brig Niagara WIP (34k) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:13:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brig Niagara WIP (34k)
From: Tim McMurdo
Date: 14 Oct 2005 07:45:01
Message: <web.434f997b55de2096395d82550@news.povray.org>
"Chris" <lho### [at] nwlinkcom> wrote:
> Tim,
> Great job. I like the wood texture too. According to a book I have at home
> (Steele's Elements of Naval Architecture), most of the bolts holding the
> planking to the frames would have been made of wood (oak was a favorite).
> These "treenails" are typically 1.5" to 2" in diameter and may have been
> rounded off where they poked through the interior of the hull. The reason
> for the wood was that iron was expensive and it was also very dangerous
> should a cannon ball knock the head off of the bolt and sent it flying into
> the crew.
> What a fantastic project. Keep up the good work.
>
> Chris Holtorf

Good morning Chris and thank you for your comments. I am familiar with tree
nails and thought they were the rule. I based the iron rivets on this photo
of the USS Constitution whish is of the sme time period.

http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/Bowchasers.htm

I may have to do a little more investigation on this issue. So far I have
not been able to find clear images of the interior planking on the Niagara.

:)

Tim