POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brig Niagara WIP (34k) : Re: Brig Niagara WIP (34k) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:13:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brig Niagara WIP (34k)
From: Chris
Date: 13 Oct 2005 21:25:00
Message: <web.434f07c755de2096705671040@news.povray.org>
Tim,
Great job. I like the wood texture too. According to a book I have at home
(Steele's Elements of Naval Architecture), most of the bolts holding the
planking to the frames would have been made of wood (oak was a favorite).
These "treenails" are typically 1.5" to 2" in diameter and may have been
rounded off where they poked through the interior of the hull. The reason
for the wood was that iron was expensive and it was also very dangerous
should a cannon ball knock the head off of the bolt and sent it flying into
the crew.
What a fantastic project. Keep up the good work.

Chris Holtorf