POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : STOPPING a render does not "release" computer : STOPPING a render does not "release" computer Server Time
26 Jun 2024 01:11:21 EDT (-0400)
  STOPPING a render does not "release" computer
From: Kenneth
Date: 3 Oct 2005 01:15:00
Message: <web.4340bca7f4493a82cc7029a60@news.povray.org>
I am running POV 3.6.1 using Windows 98SE, on a Pentium II with 512 MB ram,
and a 2 GB hard drive.  Whenever I render a rather complex scene (for
example, using a #while loop to create and/or place thousands of objects,
each with a random color), the parsing and rendering naturally takes a
rather long time...with a fair amount of hard-drive activity.  That's to be
expected, I guess. But when I STOP the render before it's complete, the
computer still keeps "churning away" (with the hard drive still as active
as before), sometimes for 10 minutes or more, depending on the scene,
before finally stopping and returning control to the POV editor. It "seems"
as if the computer is continuing to process the scene, even after the STOP
command is issued. Are there other POV users out there with this problem?
Does anyone know WHY this is happening? It would be nice if STOP RENDER
actually stopped the
entire process instantly... the way most other programs work.  Is this a
built-in problem with Windows and its hard-drive operating system?  Or is
it something odd about the way POV works with Windows?