POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : A Newb over reaching : Re: A Newb over reaching Server Time
1 Jul 2024 03:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Newb over reaching
From: Jaap
Date: 2 Oct 2005 04:45:00
Message: <web.433f9cddb2b16aa8a8399d8d0@news.povray.org>
"Divine Wind" <div### [at] blueyondercouk> wrote:
> I would love to make films useing pov.
hi, i have looked into this too.
possible, but a lot of work. appart from building your 3D "world", you need
to make everything move properly. also rendering complex images can take a
lot of time, this is not a problem for animations of 100 frames, but for a
3h movie, you have to use a lot of tricks to get render time down to about
a minute per frame. have a look at the animations at http://www.irtc.org
to see what is typically done with pov-ray. (and of cource here)

> A friend is into the sound side of things so it's down to me to make the
> video.
> I have stories coming out of my ears.
> I like coding but my information is alitle out of date. AKA BBC Basic and
> 6502 / Z80assembler
> The documentation in pov seems great all I have to do is to use it.
basic + assembler + pov-help-files-and-examples should give you little
troble
learning pov-ray code.

> The people using this news group are a great deal more experanced than me,
> so...
> Is POV the right package to do this with...
> If not Why...
You could use something else (like Blender) and save it as pov-ray code,
then use pov-ray for rendering the frames.

> And is DTA the correct paskage to use to put it all together.
> And once I have put a scene together shold I then use Adobe Primere to put
> it all into one file.
sorry don't know what DTA is.
turning thet rendered images into a movie and add the sound is very simple
compared to writing all pov-ray code to render the frames.
most use a simple (free) tool to convert the images into a movie. most of
these tools make it possible to add an audio track later.

> I know this is quite a project but I like long term projects.
> Any out there go any help full advise?
i'm not sure what quality of "film" you are looking for. if what you see in
the
IRTC animation's is what you are looking for, then go for it, but if you are
looking for real-world-looking actors etc, i would say (almost)impossible.

how mutch time (hours) where you thinking about spending on this project?

hope this helps,
Jaap