POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : problems with radiosity : Re: problems with radiosity Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:12:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: problems with radiosity
From: Andrey Platonov
Date: 15 Sep 2005 15:00:01
Message: <web.4329c379d8989f9673333a0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

After looking at numerous pre-rendered and rendered images again and again I
came to the conclusion, that these lines were not calculation errors of
some kind. Thus the problem could not be solved by adjusting radiosity
parameters.

This meant that Wagner perhaps was right. I started removing pieces of
furniture one by one - and inevitably found the one responsible for the
problem. It was a curved piece of glass - a part of the hood (not visible
at the image I presented). I am using Blender as a modelling tool, so I can
only use meshes, not the nice predifined POV-Ray objects. Chosen distance
between vertices was insufficient - which resulted in the surface being
slightly discontinuous. Rays of light went through this glass and formed
"bar code" pattern on the wall. Antialiasing further spoiled the picture by
removing most of these lines and leaving only some of them, making it
impossible to understand where they are coming from.

The problem was solved by increasing vertex count of the glass object and
its smoothing.

Thanks everybody for your advice.