POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Diamond Great Rhombicosidodecahedron : Re: Diamond Great Rhombicosidodecahedron Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Diamond Great Rhombicosidodecahedron
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 14 Sep 2005 12:20:00
Message: <web.43284cd8dcebe6ea505e02d50@news.povray.org>
Skip Talbot <Ski### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> Nothing too amazing here folks.  I had to model this shape for one of my
> classes, so naturally I shot it over to POV-Ray for a prettier render
> than the modeler's flat shades.  The angles this shape offers aren't
> ideal for bouncing light in a diamond, but I spent over a day rendering
> it anyway.

I love rendering diamonds, but they are so time-consuming. :( For this
scene, I'd suggest having some simple background texture to refract, since
as you mention, this solid doesn't create much fire, so you might as well
show off it's high ior. Speaking of which, are you using the proper diamond
ior of 2.417 or the higher value found in consts.inc of 2.471?

Are you planning on modeling all of the Archimedean solids, Skip? :) For
that matter, even some of the existing Platonic solids in the includes
could be optimized... I suppose I should post my improved dodecahedron.