POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kepler Solar System - Take 5 [~165 kB] : Re: Kepler Solar System - Take 5 [~165 kB] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kepler Solar System - Take 5 [~165 kB]
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 17 Aug 2005 20:30:01
Message: <web.4303d581b9d4c122ad93754b0@news.povray.org>
> Thomas de Groot wrote:
> > I have not been able to get the stereoscope working.
>
> Cross your eyes hard, then slowly relax until the middle pair merge.
> Then relax the focus and you'll see it in stereo.
>
> It's probably easier to practice with a simpler picture, like a line
> drawing of a hypercube projection or so.

Yes.

> I'm not sure what the software is supposed to do to it?

The various stereoscope programs display the stereo data in a variety of
formats, by converting 'on the fly'. The basic .jps format is setup for
naked-eye cross-eyed viewing. The other main naked-eye format is wide-eyed
for parallel viewing; this format is also suitable for viewing with a
traditional-style stereoscope. For naked eye viewing, I prefer wide-eyed
for smaller images, but larger images need to be viewed cross-eyed.

The stereoscope software can also generate various anaglyphs and also
formats suitable for use with various LCD shutter glasses. Petersik's Java
applet also allows use of a mirror: one image on the screen is
mirror-imaged and a mirror is held vertically between the two images. One
eye sees the direct image on the screen, the other eye looks in the mirror.
This method makes fusing the two images very easy, but the reflected image
will not be as bright as the direct image.

The point of using .jps & .pns files is to keep the stereo viewing options
open, rather than having to force everyone to use the one viewing method,
or keeping multiple versions in different formats on your hard drive.