POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Can povray on linux ever create a BMP? : Re: Can povray on linux ever create a BMP? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:00:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can povray on linux ever create a BMP?
From: Mike C
Date: 9 Aug 2005 20:25:00
Message: <web.42f9486e3e5f5cbf44365ed70@news.povray.org>
> Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> > I may fall in love with the avidemux encoder if only I could get it to open
> > an image.  It wants BMP's or JPG's.
>
> Both formats are an extremely bad choice for a POV-Ray render.  And you
> will hardly find any program un Unix systems that only supports BMP but
> no standard image format.  It is however no problem at all to convert
> the images using Imagemagick convert (you can even pipe the output like
> explained in the docs).

From what I hear, the next version of POV-Ray is supposed to support BMP
output.

And do note that there isa BMP-reading AVI maker written in Java -- which
will run on Linux if you want it to.

> There is not platform specific file format on Unix, the default is PNG
> (which is a good choice for output format in general).

From what memory serves me right; this is a good idea -- I've found that the
PNGs that POV-Ray creates are a teency bit smaller than anything I can
create with another program; even by pasting two half renders and
recompressing it.  [Kinda odd, but if it works, go with it anyway.]  You
can use mplayer/mencoder to make AVIs; make sure you have libavcodec and
libpng on your system [devel-packages too !!] and build from source.  Or
use Ubantu, which is _supposed_ to have binary packages; but those don't
run so well anyways [MPlayer actually recommends you to build from source,
and only includes binaries for Windows because 99% of Windows users don't
have compilers whereas Unix users usually have one or another.]