POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Saturn view from Cassinni : Re: Saturn view from Cassinni Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saturn view from Cassinni
From: stm31415
Date: 9 Aug 2005 10:55:01
Message: <web.42f8c0b351d0b2b613a63c030@news.povray.org>
Thomas Lake <smi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Mike Williams wrote:
> > Wasn't it stm31415 who wrote:

> >>Do the rings EVER cast a shadow on the planet? Not that I have ever seen.
> >>Nice job with this and the others.
> >

> > Yes they do. Here's an actual Cassini photo:
> > <http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA06415>
>
> In fact almost always cast a shadow.

So, then, earth's personal perspective is relatively close to that of the
sun's and the shadows of the rings are almost entirely hidden behind the
rings themselves? Because that's a pretty massive shadow not to be seen w/
a small telescope. Here was me thinking they just weren't dense enough to
cast a shadow. Well, you learn something new every day.

-s
5TF!