POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 13-9-14-9-13-1-12-9-19-13 : Re: 13-9-14-9-13-1-12-9-19-13 Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 13-9-14-9-13-1-12-9-19-13
From: stm31415
Date: 25 Jul 2005 10:15:00
Message: <web.42e4f367aa0e1c714339de420@news.povray.org>

> I would hope not, because it also becomes difficult to define. Sol
> Lewitt's work comes to mind. ie. simple building block, complex result.

You've introduced me to a new artist, there.

> but there is a great amount of concern with
> > meaning going on around here than the more "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" of
> > minimalism. (Yes, I know Magritte was surreal. I'll live)
>
> The problem is that to satisfy the irtc topic you need only address the
> word "minimalism" in some way.  Including putting it in your picture.

I think the concentration on the word itself is being overdone, here,
though. When the theme was contrast, did anyone make an image based around
the physical aspect of the english word 'contrast'? And if they had, what
would you have thought of it? The image is supposed to address the THEME
'minimalism', something which this image does, but it does even without the
inclusion of text. I am happy, even overjoyed (at this point) to see
anything that does not apply the artistic meaning of the word, but I do
want to see the meaning of the word in some sense, not just the word itself
('DK' for 'decay' comes to mind. It made me laugh out loud when I saw it,
but it was not meant as a serious entry, and many criticized it harshly for
not really interpreting the theme.) I sat up in my seat the other day when
someone mentioned 'minimalist comedy' (in context of Bob Newhart) and wish
I could find a way to use that. But to write minimalism in the image
somehow is not enough fro me to say it DOES address the topic. It mentions
the topic. If I didn't speak english, if I was, say, a native esperantist,
an image that simply said 'minimalism' would not apply to the topic at all.
 It's an international competition, and making your entry specifically
english in nature is fine, but risky, if you ask me. THe guy who submitted
a picture of 'minimalism' in written in sumerian (who would get kudos from
me for THAT translation ;)) might not be happy.

Shoot! I did it again. It might be best for me to take a break for a few
days ;) How bout this: minimalim in posting technique. 1 Haiku posts for
the rest of the week from me.

-s
5TF!