POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fire Bowl : Re: Fire Bowl Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fire Bowl
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 24 Jul 2005 13:55:00
Message: <web.42e3d5038504a0f38a85f6810@news.povray.org>
Thanks, I'm glad you like the flames.

The flame effect is actually three density statements:

A y gradient with an exponential falloff and scaled to the height of the
flames.

A cylindrical density scaled to the radius of the flames.

and a wrinkles density, again scaled to the radius.  This is what gives it
the actual flame pattern and all it's color.

the media is contained inside a the intersection of a cylinder and a sphere.
The only function of the sphere is to ensure that I don't get flames in
places where there shouldn't be flames.  Like underneith the bowl.

I'll agree that the boundaries are a tad obvious, but I cant seem to get rid
of them.  A particle system might look more realistic, but my machine's too
antiquated to make using one an efficient process.

Again, Suggestions welcome.

Regards,

ADB