POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lighting advice? : Re: Lighting advice? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting advice?
From: Tom York
Date: 22 Jul 2005 22:00:01
Message: <web.42e1a3c262fa711ee0d101b60@news.povray.org>
"Ross" <rli### [at] everestkcnet> wrote:
> I think that looks a lot better. It makes the ship's textures pop a bit
> more.

Yes, agreed. In other (less uniformly lit) scenes using those ships, the
material seems to go from plastic to metal just with the increase in gamma.
I wonder if it's better matched to the textures, or something. Anyway:

To get rid of some of the artefacts, I followed part of Alain's excellent
advice. The yellow light panel buried in the floor pits has been lowered
further, and turned down a bit. I also decreased the pretrace_end value.
This did have the side effect of punishing my computer with swapping for
about a day, but the artefacting is less noticeable and I think the
radiosity solution is of higher quality. The fog has been slightly
increased compared to the last attempt. These images use antialiasing
method 2 with threshold 0.1. Attached is a smaller version of the image
with assumed_gamma 2.2. A full-size PNG image has been placed at

http://www.zubenelgenubi.34sp.com/temp/tvo_hg.png

(1280x720, 430K)

To appease Tek, here is the new radiosity solution with assumed_gamma 1.0,
and without the fog or additional sunlight. The main difference is the
colours are a little fainter, but they both look similarly "clean" or
airbrushed to me.

http://www.zubenelgenubi.34sp.com/temp/tvo_lg.png

(1280x720, 420K)

Thanks for all the advice!