POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : First HDRI Post : Re: First HDRI Post Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:26:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First HDRI Post
From: stm31415
Date: 22 Jul 2005 09:35:00
Message: <web.42e0f5bbe3cb24bd938a8e420@news.povray.org>

> Any hints and tips on using HDRI would be very appreciated as I am not too
> sure what I am doing. (e.g. do photons work properly with HDR? do I need to
> specify anything extra you would normally add them to the light source but
> I do not know if you can add them to the HDRI light source?)

Your HDRI image needs to include an extremely bright spot. Then soft
caustics will happen automagically. If you want sharp, bright caustics,
you'll need to have a separate photons scene, map the photons, and use the
map in the final image. Remember, HDRI's are NOT light sources- they are
just images. As such, POV would have no way of knowing where to direct
photons from. Radiosity does, however, do soft caustics all by itself. if
you put a nice big glass sphere in a scene with a bright HDR image (try on
of the outdoor scenes Paul Debevec has up for examination), and set your
count extremely high, you'll see it.

-s
5TF!