POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lighting advice? : Re: Lighting advice? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting advice?
From: Tom York
Date: 20 Jul 2005 16:25:00
Message: <web.42deb2d262fa711ee0d101b60@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

> Have you tyied method 2?

I hadn't, but following your suggestion I tried it on the new image. It
seems rather better at dealing with bright speckle artefacts (not visible
in either image, I hope) with lower threshold settings. I only used
threshold 0.3 for the new image, which is why some of the posts surrounding
the exhibit pits have disappeared.

> To help reduce the artefacts you can try using 1 or 2 more pretrace steps, it can
help somewhat. Try
> pretrace_end 0.000625 or 0.0003125
> Increasing count normaly help, but I'm not sure that it can realy help in this case.
> Using a smaller low_error_factor than the default (0.5) may help in some case. It
only affect the
> last pretrace step.
> The artefacts are mainly related to your yellow pannels, maybe some tweaking in
there finish,
> pigment or dimentions and placing could help. Some suggestions:
> - make the pits deeper and lower the panels.
> - make the pannels a bit smaller than the pits. or enlarge them to make them larger
than the pits.
> - a little lower ambient with a higher saturation for the yellow pannels.
> - make the yellow pannels transparent and put some weak yellow area_light spot_light
under them.

Thanks for this advice! I will try out your suggestions.