POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lighting advice? : Re: Lighting advice? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting advice?
From: Tom York
Date: 20 Jul 2005 16:10:00
Message: <web.42deaede62fa711ee0d101b60@news.povray.org>
"s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:
> Nice image, I think you are right that it is too light intense which makes
> the image look a bit flat, especially the two white panels in front of the
> ships, they almost look 2D have you used a high ambient setting for those
> or rgb values > 1? I assume you are using ambient value of zero and light
> fading I find this helps to add realism to the lighting. Still it is a very
> good image I like the way you have shown the scale with the people (are
> they blobs?)

Yes, for those panels I used a large ambient value to make them cast light
in the radiosity step - completely pointless as I realise now, because
there's very little geometry facing them. I should have dialed it down in
the second pass but didn't. I've now fixed that. Not too sure about light
fading - I think the "unreal" flavour in the first image is mainly
contributed by the extreme flatness of the radiosity, and I don't want to
weaken the (area_light) sun too much.

The people are meshes of about 700 hundred polygons each. I've tried to keep
them back from the camera, but I wanted something to add scale and break
the symmetry a bit.