POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : wip shark [39 Kb] : Re: wip shark [39 Kb] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wip shark [39 Kb]
From: gonzo
Date: 19 Jul 2005 23:20:01
Message: <web.42ddc1e89cdd56a24bf9a0280@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:

This is starting to look quite realistic.  As Steve said, it looks like a
flash photo with backscatter from suspended particles in the water column.

One thing; water tends to shorten flash ranges to about 2-8 ft, decreasing
with the amount of particulate matter, so for this picture to be realistic
the shark would have to be fairly small and about 4-5 ft from the camera.

I'd make the water a shade greener, then make the 'flash' brighter but with
a short fade-distance so there's greater contrast between the near and far
areas.

Also, with particles that large, I'd expect a LOT more smaller particles. I
think a wider range of particle size would be more realistic.

Here's a shot with roughly the same water color as yours, note the sediment
backscatter and how the colors wash out rapidly further from the flash.
This was a wide angle shot, so the shadows in the background are rocks no
more than 10-12 ft away, yet they're almost completely black.

RG

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'sd034.jpg' (49 KB)