POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Double planetoid WIP (night) : Re: Double planetoid WIP (night) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Double planetoid WIP (night)
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 18 Jul 2005 08:40:01
Message: <web.42dba235259f8dc8731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"Bob Hughes" <bob### [at] charternet> wrote:
> was just thinking how light emanating outward from the windows might work
> well to shine out into the darkness to compliment those you already used
> outside. I wonder what radiosity would do if you replaced the window
> openings with brightly colored boxes?
Nothing, probably. It might raise the level of illumination on the boulder
slightly. The windows are quite deep-set within the walls, so light from
the windows can't spill onto the buildings much.

> > I had thought that this time of night might well be after lights-out, and
> > these lamps are like streetlamps.
> Yep, that makes sense. Then I think it might need lights out on the rock
> someplace and illuminating the buildings from a distance rather than
> directly at the walls. And then that means parking lots, roads or pathways
> could be needed.
Not a chance! My rock stays untouched by the blights of civilization! :-) I
want to preserve the idea that the inhabitants of the building don't visit
the boulder.

> Yow. Yeah, that's an aging machine there.  ; )
I may have to take it outside and shoot it sometime soon.

> Since it's mostly idle I'm willing
> to render this for you, if you ever want, just ask.
Thanks for the offer. Most of my test renders at the moment are testing
light levels so I only have to wait half an hour or so for useful results.
I'm happy with all the fine detail now so I only turn those on for big
tests. The main bottleneck is the boulder - the isosurface is a
four-component blob with two layered pigment functions - so I leave that
out if I can.

> does slow things down when "test" means all the bells and whistles are added
> to the scene, especially with an image size big enough to see it all
> accurately. One of those personality characteristics known as patience, that
> varies a great deal in everyone, really makes a difference in how that goes
POV-Ray can be a good counterpoint to an evening in front of the TV (I use a
laptop at home). Makes tests of ~30mins more bearable. I've also developed
a habit of zooming in on detail and rendering at small resolutions for
tests.

> Gee, and I hope you don't get into trouble for using office
> equipment in a non-official way!
Most of the work is done at home. I only use the office for over-nighters.
Anyway, nobody really cares around here - such are the advantages of
academia...

Bill

PS heres another test - early dawn light this time. I think I'll do
full-size versions of all three lighting scenarios in the end.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'dawn_test.jpg' (87 KB)

Preview of image 'dawn_test.jpg'