POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 'Faux-Polaroid' : not for the IRTC Minimalism round... : Re: 'Faux-Polaroid' : not for the IRTC Minimalism round... Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'Faux-Polaroid' : not for the IRTC Minimalism round...
From: Rene Bui
Date: 15 Jul 2005 20:40:00
Message: <web.42d8566bd54ef32510c26c50@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> I am aware of course that Hockney did pools, but the Paper Pools hadn't
> really gotten my attention.  I see that his process involved taking
> polaroid shots of pools.

my Hockney project is based on polaroid shots he took before starting his
work, but I've digressed as always. For example, Hockney never photograph
the pool in the rain. And also, I replace his friend by a crocodile because
I found interesting and funny to play with the double meaning of 'caustics'
word.
The Paper Pools was an interesting work because Hockney used a special
technique for the paintings. In fact, the paintings
are made of pressed paper pulp impregnated with coulour, sorry, color... (I
don't know exactly how you say that in english, in french it is : 'papier
teinte dans la masse'). So, there is something ironic with the water idea.

> Is your wife's concept just for cg or does it have a broader application?
One day, my wife had had the opportunity to show her work in a collective
polaroid art exhibition in UK, but she didn't have polaroid camera (SX70)
at hand. Sure, it was more easy to go to the shop around the corner and buy
one, but she thought that should be more exciting to made a kind of
Polaroid simulacrum. She printed herself a series of old photographs and
then mounted them in pseudo polaroid frames she made. Yes, it was pretty
conceptualist...
http://www.polarama.com/pascalebaud.a/pascalea.htm
http://www.polarama.com/
http://baudandbui.free.fr/pb_works/polars/polar.htm

I think 'Faux-Polaroids' are just an artistic concept which have certainly
something to do with falsification and copy tradition in history of art.

Rene
http://rene.bui.free.fr - online portfolio