POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Media+radiosity testing : Re: Media+radiosity testing Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:25:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media+radiosity testing
From: aaglo
Date: 12 Jul 2005 05:05:01
Message: <web.42d3879189cf0787b3ed5a4f0@news.povray.org>
"Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote:
> This is nice. If I may make a few suggestions:
>
>  - Lower your anti-aliasing threshold; there are some noticeable aliasing
> artifacts in the reflection and on the bottom of the sphere.
>  - You can see the area light sampling bands on the floor. You can eliminate
> this by bringing up the number of area light samples. Be sure to use
> "adaptive 1" so that higher sampling is only done in the partially-shadowed
> areas. If you're worried about this making the media render slowly, you
> might consider using two separate area lights: one for the media and one for
> the solid objects, by using light_groups.
>  - The media itself has some banding problems. If you bring up the number of
> media samples ("samples 20" for example), this could be reduced.
>  - Finally, you might consider doing something to hide the abrupt ending of
> the ceiling towards the edges of the scene. Maybe add walls, or make the
> ceiling go farther out.
>
>  - Slime
>  [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Ok, I think I understood most of these tips :)
To the question of render time: it was about 1 h 30 mins (because of the
large number of "holes on the roof where the light comes".

I also wondered what caused the banding there. Now that's clear, thanks.

Now, here's another type of media test. Render time: 33 mins. I increased
the number of samples in the media from 15 to 90 - no more banding :) (not
that I can see).

My civ3-units - modelled and animated with pov-ray:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=2036938&postcount=4

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'media_radiosity_test2.png' (393 KB)

Preview of image 'media_radiosity_test2.png'
media_radiosity_test2.png