POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What is 'minimalism'? : Re: What is 'minimalism'? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is 'minimalism'?
From: Rene Bui
Date: 11 Jul 2005 09:30:01
Message: <web.42d27392724857f12b8773610@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> I don't remember that painters that were
> doing monochrone paintings or even "shaped canvases" were calling
> themselves minimalists.

Hi Jim,
Minimalism, the term was used for the *first time* by the philosopher
Richard Wollheim in Arts Magazine (1965) when he talked about some aspect
of Marcel Duchamp's work. After that, someones (art critics) re-used this
word to describe the artwork of Ad Reinhardt ('ultimate paintings', some
almost monochromes ), Frank Stella, Donald Judd, Carl Andre, Dan Flavin,
Sol Lewitt, Robert Morris, Dan Graham... But I believe the artists
themselves rejected this term because they thought it was too reducing, in
a formal aspect I mean.

Rene
http://rene.bui.free.fr - online portfolio