POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Double planetoid WIP 3 : Re: Double planetoid WIP 3 Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Double planetoid WIP 3
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 29 Jun 2005 07:50:00
Message: <web.42c28a10522f1a87731f01d10@news.povray.org>
> > I'm pretty happy with the colouring now, although I think I need to crank
> > the radiosity up a little bit.
> I second. I love the boulder's reddish hue. The whole scene probably needs a
> brighter lighting, it is slightly dim as it is.
Yes. I'll rack up the diffuse a little and make the light source a bit
brighter.

> > I have two issues to ponder:
> > Firstly, do I put holes in the rock where the buildings intersect it? Or
> > not?
> Judging from what i see now, i'd say "yes". I think it would really add some
> mystery to the scene. As i have written before, now it looks like a
> building on a rock. There is a distinct hierarchy. With holes in the
> boulder, it'd be more of a coexistence.
That's the way I'm leaning. I'll at least do some tests to see if it looks
good or not.

> > My thought is that the windows could be slightly smaller
> I believe the windows are presently consistent with the height between
> floors.
> Making them smaller would make the buildings appear hostile, thus lacking
> contrast with the boulder.
I just feel that the boulder looks like it's about half a mile wide (ish)
but the building is only a couple of hundred metres wide. When compared to
the people (which I haven't posted here yet), the windows appear to be over
6ft tall. I think making them a little smaller would help with the scale a
lot. Anyway, we shall see!

> I really love this WIP and the way it's turning out.
Thanks! I'm having great fun with it. I hadn't done any serious POV-ing for
years until this, so it's great to get back into it. I'm also giving this
work a lot more attention than I have with previous scenes - I think the
feedback from the community is artistically very helpful. Even if you
doesn't necessarily incorporate many ideas, it makes you look at your scene
in a much more critical light.

And the sheer quality of the posting here makes me try harder, too!

Bill