POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tandem in Shed - 99% CSG - Unsure of lighting : Tandem in Shed - 99% CSG - Unsure of lighting Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  Tandem in Shed - 99% CSG - Unsure of lighting
From: 3D Fusion
Date: 16 Jun 2005 17:40:01
Message: <web.42b1f0e6ee5a3dc45c78cd680@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I'm finally getting to spend some time learning and creating with PovRay.
Although I am reading with great interest about the many advance techniques
available with PovRay, for now I'm trying to master the basic's 1st.

Attached is one of my original efforts that is 99% primative constructive
solid geometry. Floor pump hose which is a sphere_sweep is the only non
primative.
Calender from PovRay wiki at:   http://www.wikipov.org/ow.asp?MakeCalendar

Tandem picture on imaged mapped onto calendar is same CSG object in scene,
rendered on white background with colored lights and a slight warp normal
to camera to give a hand drawn look.

I think I need another light source from say a window, skylight, or door
opening, as when this scene is dark enough to have the mood I/m going for,
it's seems too dark, and when I lighten it up with the existing light, it
seems fake.

I'd like to improve my skills and do better in the next IRTC than my 1st
entry, based somewhat on this scene.  Let me know what you think . . .

Key lighting related settings are below:

.. . .

global_settings { assumed_gamma 2.50 max_trace_level 5
    ambient_light rgb<.0, .0, .0>   // Best set to zero if Radiosity used
    radiosity { pretrace_start 0.08 pretrace_end 0.05 count 90 nearest_count
7 error_bound 1.5 recursion_limit 4 low_error_factor .6
                gray_threshold 0.5  minimum_reuse 0.013 brightness 1
adc_bailout 0.01 normal on always_sample off}
// end global settings

.. . .

#declare Dist=160; // 220;
light_source { <0,0,0>// position (translated below)
  color rgb <1,1,1>   // White light
  area_light          // slow but soft-better shadows results
  <1, 0, 0> <0, 0, 1> // lights spread out across this distance (x * z)
  6, 6                // total number of lights in grid (4x*4z = 16 lights)
  adaptive 0          // 0,1,2,3...
  jitter              // adds random softening of light
  circular            // make the shape of the light circular
  orient              // orient light
  translate <lx, ly+1 , lz>  // <x y z> position of light - match to light
fixture in scene
}
// Added lights to make scene's light fixture look more like a source of
illumination
light_source { <lx, ly+1, lz> color Gray20 fade_distance Dist fade_power 2
shadowless }
light_source { <lx, ly+1, lz> color White fade_distance Dist fade_power 2 }
// shadowless}
light_source { <lx, ly+1, lz> color Yellow fade_distance Dist fade_power 2 }
//shadowless}
light_source { <lx-2,ly-12,lz+2> color rgb < .1,0,0> fade_distance Dist
fade_power 2 shadowless }  // Brighten up light fixture pull crystal

.. . .

Comments and suggestings welcome,

M. Cv

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'tandem_in_shed_m.jpg' (341 KB)

Preview of image 'tandem_in_shed_m.jpg'
tandem_in_shed_m.jpg