POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Wings 3D plugin not working : Re: Wings 3D plugin not working Server Time
17 May 2024 07:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wings 3D plugin not working
From: triple r
Date: 11 Jun 2005 01:25:00
Message: <web.42aa754de4d9edec20cb1ca60@news.povray.org>
Matthew Pace <mat### [at] lycoscom> wrote:
> Hello all, I am running Mac OS 10.3.9 .  I have the latest version of
> Wings (Downloaded last week, right before the server died).  I also have
> the latest POV-Ray plugin.  I clicked install plugin (in wings), chose
> the wXX_pov.beam file (Forgot what the XX was), anyways I got a message
> saying plugin was installed correctly, but theres no options for the
> plugin, or export/render options for POV.  I tried restarting wings, re
> DLing the plugin, re installing the plugin (sometimes the message saying
> it installed would appear twice).  NOTHING WORKED.  At all.  None of the
> other files will install or anything.
>

> Anyone able to lend a helping hand?

Yes.  I can help.  I ran into the same problem, so I tried looking at the
other formats.  If you look at an exported .obj, it is just a couple junk
lines, then 'v' followed by x, y, and z-coords.  The uv and normal vectors
are listed similarly, then the faces.  Pretty simple really.  So I wrote a
converter in c++ and command-line format to handle this and uv-mapping.  In
its current state, it only handles triangulated meshes (select
body->tesselate->triangulate) and spherical mapping, but I plan to make
some additions and clean it up a little.  It also outputs a ppm-file with
the mesh faces drawn.  It's not at all complete, but I'm working on
sections as I go.  I can post the code AS-IS and see if that helps at all,
but I make no guarantees that it won't destroy your computer, etc...  I'll
post it to p.b.misc.  Oh, and keep in mind that spherical uv-mapping is not
very useful for a static mesh since it's easier to go in and use a
spherical map (and my uv-mapping currently leaves a big ugly seam where it
loops from 2pi to 0.

- Ricky