POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : New WIP : Re: New WIP Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:13:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New WIP
From: Loki
Date: 28 May 2005 16:35:00
Message: <web.4298d4faba1cac86efae18ca0@news.povray.org>
Rick Measham <rickm*at%isite.net.au> wrote:
> 1. Is this the process most people go through? Creating white images to
> get the proportions/placements correct, then adding textures? If so, how
> do you go about seeing everything without area lights / radiosity
> slowing down your render?

I often work on abstract stuff in which case I usually work in colour as I
go along.  Those images are often a case of applying a certain concept as a
script, fiddling with media etc.  In those cases I texture as I go.
However, for more 'real' images with complex models I always model with
temporary lighting and mostly plain white textures.  If I am planning to
use radiosity or photons I will put something like

#declare RAD = 0;
#if ( RAD )
global_settings {
  radiosity {
    count RAD
    (..other settings)
  }
}
#end

#if ( RAD = 0 )
light_source(s)
#end

In this way I can do a low quality radiosity rendering without the temporary
lights just by setting RAD higher than zero; there may be other things in
the scene which I can switch on/off as I go in the same way, like media
which looks nice but isn't needed in test renders.  In this way I can get a
feel for the way things are going to look in the final render without
ramping up render times while I'm modelling.

My workflow is then: modelling->texturing->lighting
Then I will go back and tweak the textures to suit the lighting.

> 2. In the vein of Loki vs Slime, I'd love someone to provide a 'white'
> scene with interesting objects like this or Force of Nature and the
> 'game' is to add the color/texture/finishes on everything. No adding
> objects. No moving objects or the camera or the lights*. Everyone would
> submit the same 2D representation of the scene, just with their own
> colors/textures on it. I'd also like to say the SDL should be provided
> as I'm sure many of you use more complex texturing tricks than I do and
> I'd love to learn the questions to ask :)

I recall an image from some years ago in which the entire scene was textured
plain white and coloured lights were used to 'paint' the scene.  It was a
really interesting image, surprisingly detailed and with a very stylish
look to it.

-