POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lotus Candle (WIP) : Re: Lotus Candle (WIP) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lotus Candle (WIP)
From: JYR
Date: 25 May 2005 23:55:00
Message: <web.429547fbe9c7c3376a3607400@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote:
> Nontheless, I love to doodle around with Silo every now and then and this is
> what I decided to model a few days ago. Modelling didn't take that long, but
> rendering did. Required lots of passes to get the scattering right, and then
> I needed to make use of lightgroups to have the candle actually cast light
> onto the plane. Playing a little with negative lightsources to get the
> proper shadow.

Great job! You got everything right, the color and transparency of the solid
wax, the flame, the reflection in the liquid wax... but, IMHO, this is a
picture of a lit candle being illuminated from above by a spotlight. I
think there's no way the flame, low as it is in the candle, can actually
cast light onto the table. This being said, 2 thumbs up again !!!

JYR