POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Jupiter : Re: Jupiter Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:14:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Jupiter
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 25 May 2005 16:55:01
Message: <web.4294e041cfe3935a755fa2580@news.povray.org>
"Ben Lauritzen" <loo### [at] austinrrcom> wrote:

> The sun should be tremendously farther away/smaller, unless of course it's
> going nova, in which case we're already long since dead at the point in this
> picture.

That is a matter of perspective.  The Sun would look that large relative to
Jupiter if the camera were 26M km outward from Jupiter.  Of course, that
would imply a very narrow camera angle.  My major C/Cs about the Sun are
that it is too yellow, and not blindingly bright.

> Also, you have your brightest light source coming from outside the solar
> system.

A better bet for deep space lighting would be to forego the second light
source and use a very low ambient, for example, set #default { finish {
ambient 0.01 } } at the start of the scene file.

> Generally, views of objects in space are tremendously boring, so artistic
> license is required so do what you want with it - if realism ruins your
> plans.

Realism would have the default ambient somewhere around epsilon, the
background stars and the rocks all but invisible (no _Empire_Strikes_Back_
asteroid fields!), and the image of the Sun burning a hole in your computer
monitor.  The real artistry in the license is finding the best compromise.