POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lab Bench - Final : Re: Lab Bench - Final Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lab Bench - Final
From: stm31415
Date: 25 May 2005 08:25:01
Message: <web.42946dc47a1a6d40efd7d28f0@news.povray.org>
I like it, but I would hesitate to call it final. If you like it the way it
is, then ignore me, but here are soem things I noticed:

Compositionally, it is weak. There is no line, no arrangement of objects or
colors that leads the eye through the scene. A great example is Gilles
Trans' The Wet Bird --  The skyline leades you down past the wet birt and
plops your eye smack on the ghostly figure. All the focal points of the
image, with somethign to lead you through them. Less obvious is
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2002-08-31/golonls2.jpg , which has many
lines, but if you look for the strongest, longest diagonoal (bottom left
corner) it points straight to the lit window. Had the lit window been
somewhere else, the eye would not have found it so easily. I am not saying
all this is neccessarily conscious in the artist's mind. Many times it
comes out as trial and error with a final 'Ah! That's better!' But it helps
to know that it is there.

If you are going to put textures so close to the camera (namely, the stand)
THe need to have a little more interest. Add a normal, or just a tiny
variation in color. *Everything* has some texture, right? OTOH, you can
spend a lifetime tweaking textures for one image ;)

Finally, lighting. It is good. It lights the room, it gives interesting
glimpses through the flasks, but... I know you don't want to make radiosity
take too long, but if you can get the corners of the room a little darker,
to contrast with the walls, I think the scene will really pop. [I think, in
order to acheive this, lower the error_bound, and increase the count to
compensate, but I've never been excellent with radiosity tweaking.]

All that said, I really like it. It has the potential to be a really
interesting, moody piece, with just a little tweaking, a little
rearranging. As it is, if feels jumbled- even if it was a photo, I'd be
unsure of why you took it. The modelling is excellent. The textures and
lighting are good, but can be tweaked. The major problem is the
arrangement, which, if it does anything, leads your eye into the empty
corner.

-s
5TF!