POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : lotw improved 2 [280k] : Re: lotw improved 2 [280k] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:13:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: lotw improved 2 [280k]
From: JYR
Date: 15 May 2005 20:15:01
Message: <web.4287e526eeb628c76a3607400@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sha### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Yeah.. Its a bit odd. Like looking at a cutout of a real landscape, which
> someone then added the sky from a completely different image to.

I felt exactly the same, without quite being able to put my finger on it. I
believe it has to do with 2 things :
- first, the clouds do not cast any shadows onto the landscape, thus
appearing **behind** the background mountains rather than **above** the
whole landscape. Given their size and shape, they seem to be fairly low in
the sky and should be casting shadows.
- then, their size and apparent height might be inconsistent with the height
of the mountains. Given the height of the peak on the right, i get the
impression that it should be surrounded by clouds.

In addition, i second the idea that the mountains in the background should
have darker shadows, not because they **are** darker, but rather because
they should **appear** darker by contrast with the strongly lit slopes. I
don't buy the idea of a distant haze, at least not with the sky as it is
now.

That being said, this picture is astounding! Great job!

JYR