POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : isosurface problem : Re: isosurface problem Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isosurface problem
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 12 May 2005 06:40:00
Message: <web.4283321175855243731f01d10@news.povray.org>
> I don't think that approach is ever going to work. [See my previous reply
> for my reasoning]
Yes, I can see what you mean. I should have thought of that.

> What you can do however is take the four faces of a simple tetrahedron
> and 'blob' them together to get a rounded effect.
> [see <http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/combine.htm#blob> for function
> 'blobbing']
>
> The rounded effect isn't the same as what you get with planes, cylinders
> and spheres. The radius of curvature changes gradually rather than
> suddenly changing from zero to b at a point near the edge. The faces are
> not completely flat.
That's brilliant! It would never have occurred to me to blob planes together
like that. Really elegant. The difference in rounding effect is not a
problem - the result of your code is actually better (i.e. more realistic)
than what I would have ended up with. Yours renders faster than mine, too!
I need it a little craggier than your demo but I can play with that myself.

Just goes to show - if it's complicated and doesn't work, you're probably
pushing a boulder up the wrong mountain.

And you feel extra stupid if the boulder turns out to be tetrahedral.

Much thanks, and others' suggestions too.

Bill