POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : isosurface problem : Re: isosurface problem Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isosurface problem
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 11 May 2005 20:35:00
Message: <web.4282a3fd75855243755fa2580@news.povray.org>
"James Buddenhagen" <jbu### [at] REMOVEtexasnet> wrote:
> I have not yet used isosurfaces but I was surprized that
> you set it up so that the function is negative inside
> the surface and positive outside the surface.  When
> I tried your code with the negative of your function I
> got the bounding box, not your surface.  That really
> surprised me.  Is that a bug or am I missing something?

You are missing something.  This is exactly the way POV-Ray isosurfaces are
supposed to work.  You may question the judgement of the POV team for
arranging it this way, but that's the decision that they made.

I've occasionally run into a bona fide bug, but my first reaction is to
assume that i missed something.  The POV team has been doing this for a
long time, so i presume that they know what they're doing.  Sure enough,
when i read the message window or take a second look at the documentation,
i almost always find the explanation staring back at me.

One thing that took me by surprise is that my first few tries rendered with
numerous artifacts and huge chunks missing from the objects.  Quite scary.
When this happens to you (and it will), you can save the trouble of
reporting this "bug" by checking the messages; you will find that POV-Ray
has already suspected that you didn't get what you wanted, and issued a
warning with a suggested fix.