POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Help with the basics: Compiling with MingW : Re: Help with the basics: Compiling with MingW Server Time
1 Jun 2024 08:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with the basics: Compiling with MingW
From: Boumboum34
Date: 25 Apr 2005 18:10:01
Message: <web.426d696828bb42a6741a4fef0@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the responses. The reference to the MinGW_PACKAGES.rtf file made
the difference. I've got the console version compiled and working nicely.
:) Now on to play with patching.. :)

Ryan wrote:
> Uh... maybe I'm missing something, but what's wrong with Visual Studio?

I forgot to mention, I'm using an old Pentium II laptop running Windows 98
(hey, it's all I can afford, ok? Especially after 2 pentium 4 laptops both
got stolen within 6 months). Neither Visual Studio .NET nor the Intel C++
compilers will run on my machine (both require XP if I recall, which also
doesn't run on my machine).

MingW does, as does cygwin.

Lutz-Peter Hooge wrote:
> That "DOS" is the command line interface for windows. There is nothing wrong
> with it. That it looks like DOS doesn't mean you cou only run DOS programs
> from there, or your compiled binaries will be 16bit or something...

Yes I know. I'm an old DOS user from the pre-windows 3.1 days (heck, I
remember usin MS-DOS 2.01). :) It's just that...well...I'd gotten used to
the Windows 98 GUI environment and...finding myself suddenly forced back
into the old DOS command line environment is rather a pain, even when I'm
using DOSKEY. All the stuff I'm used to with Windows GUI programs just
isn't available in a DOS box. Having to type out the long file and path
names is a pain compared to just clicking on a list, for example. The lack
of a scroll for DOS windows bugs me a lot too. I haven't figured out how to
pipe the compiler messages to a file for later reading. The ">" switch
redirects the MAKE tool messages but not the compiler messages....*sigh*
With a windows GUI I could just scroll up. Begin to see why I'm searching
for a GUI version of the otherwise excellent GNU tools?

It's the same reason I use the Windows GUI version of povray instead of the
console version, which still works well, as you know.