POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Potential flow : Re: Potential flow Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:16:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Potential flow
From: triple r
Date: 25 Apr 2005 15:40:00
Message: <web.426d476db9f405f0b65aea320@news.povray.org>
"Przemek Loesch" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I like it very much. Some time ago I was trying to simulate behaviour of a
> sail in realtime. The image shows what I have ended with. The mathod was
> very simple, based on panels and Newton's physics but the results were
> quite convincing. I wonder if it is possible to use inviscid potential flow
> for such a simulation? Is it fast enought for realtime? I know CFD
> certainly is not, but anyway could you post your code for CFD - I'm just
> curious how to implement it.

Looks good.  OpenGL?  Probably something like Newton's sin^2 theory for lift
applied to cloths?  As far as I know that's the best approach to something
like a sail or flag since even an analytic solution for potential flow
around a sail made up of panels would require the solution of a whole lot
of simultaneous equations.  The kicker is that analytic solutions like this
only work for steady, inviscid, irrotational flow, so it wouldn't really do
anything interesting.  Probably wouldn't be real-time either.

I've been working on a simple fluid simulation over the network using the
school's c++ compiler, so I do have some code I could post with a little
adjustment - I need to put in a better, MUCH more stable method for one
crucial part though.  The best part is that it spits out sreamlines and
particles in animated ASCII.  I have homework-type stuff to do tonight, but
I'll have some time tomorrow to throw something together.  Sorry for more
delay.

 - Ricky