POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Potential flow : Re: Potential flow Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:14:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Potential flow
From: Przemek Loesch
Date: 25 Apr 2005 08:35:01
Message: <web.426ce3a4b9f405f0b0aac12c0@news.povray.org>
"triple_r" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Just thought it was a result worth sharing.  It is NOT CFD; it's just
> inviscid potential flow (v=grad(phi) such that div(v)=0) over a CIRCLE with
> a center at x=0.1, y=0.1, and through the point x=-1, y=0.  There's also
> circulation and a flow angle of eight degrees from horizontal.  You apply
> the conformal map z'=z+1/z (Ewww... complex variables), and you get
> potential flow over a Joukowski airfoil.  A pretty surprising result,
> really.  Well I was surprised anyway.  The pressure coefficient
> distribution is plotted with thousands of tiny spheres since I can't for
> the life of me figure out any inverse transformation for the map which
> would allow for a function pigment.  Sorry for all the nerdspeak.
>
> On a tangent: speaking of CFD, sorry I never got the code for my smoke
> (p.b.a, back a couple months or so) simulation posted.  My C++ compiler is
> broken since I reinstalled.  I could post it as-is if there is interest
> though.
>
> - Ricky

I like it very much. Some time ago I was trying to simulate behaviour of a
sail in realtime. The image shows what I have ended with. The mathod was
very simple, based on panels and Newton's physics but the results were
quite convincing. I wonder if it is possible to use inviscid potential flow
for such a simulation? Is it fast enought for realtime? I know CFD
certainly is not, but anyway could you post your code for CFD - I'm just
curious how to implement it.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'sailsim.jpg' (73 KB)