POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Magazine Cover : Re: Magazine Cover Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:11:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Magazine Cover
From: stm31415
Date: 21 Apr 2005 10:30:00
Message: <web.4267b26e947112e4c16d00e00@news.povray.org>
Spock <Spo### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
> The concept is excellent and I wouldn't change the footprint at all.
>
> You might consider using small shells instead of rocks (or some of each).
>
> The biggest problem with the water isn't the texture, it's the shape.  I
> would suggest a straight line or a gentle curve.  The strong 'S' shape
> you have just doesn't feel right.  To me at least.
>
>  From the beaches I have walked on I also remember some sort of debris
> line at the most recent high water mark.  Sometimes it's just a line of
> pebbles, sometimes it contains organic matter, but the texture of the
> sand changes with each wave...  smoother where it was just covered and
> rougher above the line.
>
> I'm babbling.  You've obviously seen beaches too :-)

I would agree with you on all counts, the problem is that compositionally,
the water looks bad when it's straight or too gently curved. If I have
time, I'd like to play with the shape more (it's just a spline, so it isn't
too hard), because I agree that it still isn't right.
I couldn't find or model shells I was happy with, so I left it like this. If
anyone knows a good way to texture an iso shell, I'd love to hear about it.
I can't add the waterline because the situation I'm implying would never
happen. To have the water still foaming at the front here would imply that
the previous waves have passed the print, but I want it to look like this
one will wash it away.

-S
5TF!