POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Go Stones (WIP) : Re: Go Stones (WIP) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:08:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Go Stones (WIP)
From: Loki
Date: 18 Apr 2005 15:55:01
Message: <web.42640f9d4b6575522984bfe0@news.povray.org>
"Sylvain" <rem### [at] lapostenet> wrote:
> Thank you for your advices and pieces of code ! I think it will take some
> time before I get a grip on those techniques ! I tried to test a couple of
> options and it looks better (at least I hope...). There is still a long way
> to go.
> SL

Looks a lot better I think - the stones look used, slightly rough and, well,
handled somehow.  One thing though, did you apply the texture to each stone
at the origin and then translate it to position?  Reason I ask is that the
variations look the same on all the stones.  Might be my eyes playing up or
a coincidence, but if you did it that way, try this instead: create a union
of all the black stones in the positions you want them, then apply the
black texture to the whole group.  Do the same with all the white ones.
That's because the textures are procedural, so if you have two object
created at the origin, textured then moved, they will have identical
textures.  Sometimes that's what you want, but more often you want them all
to be different, so you have to create the object, move it, and then
texture it.

Generally though I much prefer the look of these stones compared to the
previous ones.  In the first image they were obviously just CG shapes, they
were too 'perfect.'  In the second example you posted they look much more
physical.

-