POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Go Stones (WIP) : Re: Go Stones (WIP) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:14:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Go Stones (WIP)
From: Sylvain
Date: 17 Apr 2005 06:25:00
Message: <web.426238dc4b657551d5278850@news.povray.org>
"Loki" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Sylvain" <rem### [at] lapostenet> wrote:
> > While looking for something simple to model with POV in order to learn how
> > to use it, I came across my game of Go lying on the floor. My goal is to
> > model a full Go board but, as someone has to start somewhere, I began with
> > the Go stones (actually a squeezed sphere). Here is the result for remarks
> > and comments !
> > Sylvain
>
> I don't know about your set, but my Go set has little ridges around the
> stones 'equators' as if they have been made in two bits.  Have you tried
> constructing the stones from two intersecting squished spheres rather than
> just one?  Might make them look a little more physical.  Also they will
> have been handled by human hands and the greasy marks on them will lead to
> variations in the coefficients of specular roughness across their surfaces.
>  Tried making a variegated 'finish' with small deviations in this?

> -

Thanks Loki. By the way, the plane texture is copied from your "sphere on
checkered plane" picture !
My set has ridges too, but it is made of plastic and I thought the stone
sets were smoother. Your remark about the greasy marks sounds great, but I
don't get how to make the variations in the coefficients of specular
roughness (I am still quite a beginner in textures). The texture for the
black stones is simply :

    normal { crackle scale <0.3,0.1,0.3>*0.1 turbulence 0.2 }
    finish { phong 1 phong_size 15 }

Should I use layered finish or something like that ?