POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Acceleration through FPGA : Acceleration through FPGA Server Time
14 Jun 2024 09:31:53 EDT (-0400)
  Acceleration through FPGA
From: Brannon
Date: 29 Mar 2005 02:05:01
Message: <web.4248fe0215723b869c9df08e0@news.povray.org>
I am considering writing a some code to accellerate POVRay by use of FPGA
hardware. I have access to a variety of FPGA systems (and some saweeet
buses). What would be beautiful to me is if there was just one function
that looked like this:

byte* UseLotsOfProcessor(byte* bigchunk1, bigchunk2, other params....){
   do lost of math in not too many lines of code
   return a big piece of data
}

Then I could just write my own copy of that function that executed in
hardware. Somehow I don't think it is that easy. How do the SMP utilities
do such things? Is there a subset of functions they overload? Where would I
find this list?

Thanks for your time,
Brannon