POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rain Forest : Rain Forest Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Rain Forest
From: gerberc
Date: 24 Mar 2005 03:05:02
Message: <web.424273a8915ff18c48a3959e0@news.povray.org>
This scene makes use of the eval_pigment function to place trees on 2
hight_fields. There are more than 10000 trees and palms.

Strange thing is that it is not possible to render this scene with the
official POV-Ray 3.6 version on my system (3.6 GHz P4 with 2 GB RAM under
Win XP Home with SP2). I allways get memory allocation errors. So I tried
MegaPov 1.1. Bingo!! Parse time reduced by at least a factor 4, no memory
allocation issues. Render time seemed much faster to me too, although this
is hard to judge because the scene crashed with the official version if
rendering all elements. Did anybody else notice similar behaviour?

About the image: The trees were made with POVTree, palms are freebies from
the internet (sorry, I forgot where I downloaded them)textured in POV-Ray,
clouds are made with Gill Tran's MakeCloud and the parrots are Poser
models. The scene rendered in 4.5 hours at 1600x1200 and peak memory used
was about 350 MB only.

Regards and have a nice easter weekend, Christoph

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'rainforest.jpg' (375 KB)

Preview of image 'rainforest.jpg'