POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Niagara WIP Deck Test : Re: Niagara WIP Deck Test Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Niagara WIP Deck Test
From: Abe
Date: 15 Mar 2005 07:35:00
Message: <web.4236d53ca9a49d95a1344ac30@news.povray.org>
"Tim McMurdo" <jod### [at] wohrrcom> wrote:
> This model is a test platform that I use for developing new methods,
> textures, etc. for the Niagara. I find that it is much faster to do my
> development on this limited platfom first and then transport the code into
> the larger Niagara files.
>
> Today's test is for a new plank macro using the isowood.inc files. I have
> mixed feelings about the oak texture of the wood. I read in all of the
> books about the gleaming white decks on naval sailing ships. Evidently they
> were scrubbed daily with holly stones to clean them and make them white.
> However, on the sailing ships I have actually visited, all the decks are
> weathered grey. If there are any knowledgeable sailors out there, I would
> love to know what color they should be. Do we just nolonger scrub decks
> with stones and leave them to weather? How light in color should the
> texture be?
>
> The loops of rope on the belaying pins are from a previous test, so please
> pay them no attention.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim

A few of my recollections (from about ten years ago):

I don't really know anything about holly stones.

The wood decks of the ships that I spent time on were not new-wood color,
but some variant of bleached and weathered gray, though, a patch or
replaced plank did take some time to weather to the color of the rest. As
such I'd say the deck should take its color (and luminance) more from the
lighting than the material.

In port is probably the worst time to observe clean decks - there's just so
much coming and going. They really do look lighter with some scrubbing
after a few days at sea. It made it easier to track the engineer whenever
he came out of the engine room. :)

At times we bleached the decks with oxalic acid - this really brightened
them. I cannot say, however, how widespread this practice is/was.

Weathering is mostly a surface effect and the actual wood color could be
revealed if you went at it with a scraper.

Scrubbing definitely raised the grain some.

The seams were caulked with cotton or hemp which always retained some dirt.
Though I cannot recall any seams that were not finished off with some
synthetic sealant.

The pegs (or bungs covering the fasteners) should probably be colored the
same as the planks.

Scuffmarks or collected dirt around the gun carriage wheels. And soot
stains? I remember alot of black mess after firing and swabbing the guns
several times. Maybe not that much on second thought since this was
probably a neat and tight navy ship.

Also its probably not a good idea to paint the pin rail since you will
definitely get chafe marks.

Well, that's probably more than you wanted to know. Keep it up! I'm really
enjoying the progression on this project.

Abe

P.S. I've been meaning to mention it for some time: I feel that implementing
some sort of translucency effect on the sails would contribute enormously
to the feel of the model.