POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Modern Life : Re: Modern Life Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:03:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modern Life
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 25 Feb 2005 19:30:00
Message: <web.421fc10768625c63755fa2580@news.povray.org>
"James Moore" <jtm### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote:
> Just a pic I made about 3 months ago & thought I'd share.  The people are
> Poser models, of course.  The newspaper ads are some of my older pics.

Love the telescope.  It seems to be an unwritten rule of ad copy:

   "All Newtonian telescopes advertized to the general public shall
   be installed upside-down, because it looks more believable to the
   potential customers."

Most people don't know what a Newtonian telescope is supposed to look like.
At least one owner of a Dobsonian-mounted Newt had neighbors call the
police on him, because they thought it was a weapon!

But your upside-down refractor is a stroke of genius.  I actually wouldn't
be surprised to see one in a print ad one of these days.  After all, in
this day of sci-tech silliness, a scientist can say, "There used to be pack
ice on Mars," and the press reports it as, "THERE IS EVIDENCE OF LIFE ON
MARS!"