POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Human skin : some new experiments : Re: Human skin : some new experiments Server Time
9 Aug 2024 11:26:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Human skin : some new experiments
From: Rene Bui
Date: 15 Feb 2005 06:50:00
Message: <web.4211e0bbf1864a88189ba0ab0@news.povray.org>
>   I just placed the skull over my current experiments... call it "good
>luck" that it worked with my media setup.
>
>   Media is very sensible... what works well for a concrete setup,
>creates artifacts with other conditions. In my tests I did use just
>standard scattering and absorption, and also interior fading:
>
>   interior{
>    fade_distance .00001 fade_power 1000 fade_color Red
>    media{
>     absorption mb*2
>     scattering{1,mb}
>    }
>   }
>
>   with mb set to 3. The image_map uses "transmit all .4 filter all .1".
>
>   After my last post here, I done a few more tests:
>
>   http://www.ignorancia.org/img_page.php?image=0&db=wip
>
>   Looks like it's not a bad idea, but I fear the work required to
>create my own skull, and then remodeling the head to fit the same shape...

Good news !!
I never tried interior fading (I'm definitely a poor newbie !)

Your latest images are very good and instructive.
Particularly these :
http://www.ignorancia.org/images/wip/cabeza-SSS-5.jpg
http://www.ignorancia.org/images/wip/cabeza-SSS-6.jpg

They impressed me.
Make me think that skin is a very very inconstant material.
Sure it depends on what person (age, sex, ethny), what lighting etc.
it can be opaque like this:
http://bambousette.free.fr/head_experiment/LS012787.jpg

or completely waxy like this:
http://bambousette.free.fr/head_experiment/monsterphoto.jpg

I don't want to make a scientifically perfect skin, but if we can do just
something *plausible* I would be very happy !
And after what I've seen on your website, I'm optimistic.

Well, go back to test now with your media setting. ;-)

Rene
----