POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Human skin : some new experiments : Human skin : some new experiments Server Time
9 Aug 2024 11:25:50 EDT (-0400)
  Human skin : some new experiments
From: Rene Bui
Date: 14 Feb 2005 04:55:01
Message: <web.421074e6d658b350e23538ee0@news.povray.org>
Hi folks,
I'm back with some new things to share.

1 - Mixed sss and aoi (mlpov0.83/megapov1.1) : not too bad, I think it's ok.
Aoi is quite helpful, especially when an image map is used as last layer
(the white edge is usually lost).
Script posted in p.b.s-f.

2 - As anyone knows, a serious problem with making sss human skin in pov is
transparency tuning, particularly with head due to its structure (inner
parts).
- I always read here (in the newsgroup) that we just have to increase media
density to turn it more opaque. Well, I noticed it's true only when main
light is from behind. But when main light is in front, I discovered that it
is absolutely the opposite, we have to *decrease* this value (?!)...
- extinction is useful when tweaking
- big time-consumer, high value sampling is used as last resort if density
and extinction are not sufficient.

Some examples here using scattering type 1 in different lighting situations:
Because human skin is one of the most subtle and inconstant material, it is
not a straight method (I'm not capable to do one !), just to refer as memo.

http://bambousette.free.fr/head_experiment/povsss+lightBackgrd.jpg
http://bambousette.free.fr/head_experiment/povsss+lightFB.jpg
http://bambousette.free.fr/head_experiment/povsss+lightForegrd.jpg
http://bambousette.free.fr/head_experiment/povsss+lightSide.jpg

3 - I've also tried with non-sss technics, not convincing at all (except
aoi).

http://bambousette.free.fr/head_experiment/non-sss_skintest.jpg

4 - I've tried with other 'things', but unsuccessfully.
[ Jaime : I've tested your 3d cafe skull idea, but unfortunately does'nt
work here. I don't know how you really did it. Probably you are very
inspired. Jaime, ...are you a sort of wizard ? lol ]

http://bambousette.free.fr/head_experiment/other_sssexperiment.jpg

Rene
----

Post a reply to this message