POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Venice building : Re: Venice building Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:24:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Venice building
From: Renderdog
Date: 3 Feb 2005 17:30:01
Message: <web.4202a52df291ec48ebbc7f420@news.povray.org>
"Przemek Loesch" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Very impressive! It has an unique mood.
> There is something in your perspective settings what makes this scene looks
> a little bit unreal and flat, like it was an old painting. Camera view is
> perpendicular to the front facade so it is "one point perspectivce" which
> was formerly commonly used. First impression is that something is wrong
> with the shape of the wall more the building on the right has its own
> direction and a different more perceptible perspective. I like this effect
> very much, although if you want to make this image more "real" you may
> consider to turm the camera a little bit left or right.

Hi Przemek,

Thanks for you comments. The perspective *is* rather extreme,
and I'm still debating whether to stick with the 1-point or go
to a 2-point perspective.

European Street Scene paintings are often very flat, static images
with no people in them. They use an almost, but not quite,
orthographic perpective. In attempting to emulate that look, and
by using the bridge on the right as the center point, objects to
the left become distorted. Whether they're distorted enough to
cause a problem is the question.

I've generated different versions of the image, included here.
"3" is the normal 3-point perspective. The problem here is the
buildings appear to be leaning in, as they become smaller in the
vertical distance.

"2" is the most commonly used perspective for buildings, it
looks much more natural, though the buildings can look top-heavy.

In "1", objects become smaller in only one axis, the axis into
the screen. This produces a static image (fewer diagonals) and
makes objects facing us appear perfectly square (unless they
have depth, then they are distorted).

I've made adjustments to try to minimize the effect, but it may
still be a distraction.

Another problem with my image is the girl is located on the
far left. Going to a 2-point perspective will move her closer
to the edge. One possible solution would be to place the focal
point closer to the center of the image, and rotate the right
side of the image so we're still looking at the bridge head-on.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '321.jpg' (76 KB)

Preview of image '321.jpg'