POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Venice building : Re: Venice building Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Venice building
From: Renderdog
Date: 3 Feb 2005 17:00:01
Message: <web.42029e69f291ec48ebbc7f420@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:
> I'd say the top floor is designed completely different than the rest, and it
> sticks out (to me at least). The others are more rectangular, geometric,
> whereas the top floor is curvy, lots of ornaments, even colored walls! That
> may be what you can find somewhere, but to me this looks strange. And for
> images, you either need to create a true photorealistic look, or you need to
> dive into styles and doing some things over the top to not only underline
> that the Art is CG, but also, that you're creating your own world of
> artistry and style in an image.
>
> If you're going for the first, then the image has too much CG quality to it,
> and then it sticks out, if you're going for the latter, I'm missing the
> context of the remaining image to judge appropriately.
>
> But that's just my 2 cents, whereas your own oppinion, as the artist, is
> worth much more. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to help, Tim. I have to agree the top
floor sticks out. I attempted to reduce the difference by adding
quoins to the lower floors and using a gradual color gradient to
the gray first floor.

While there are many buildings in Venice that have a jarring
discontinuity, either from decay or remodeling, its not the
effect I'm going for. I'm comfortable with the top floor alone
having frescoes, but maybe the third floor needs something
to ease the transition? Suggestions appreciated!

The overall "look and feel" I'm going for it to duplicate the look
of a genre of painting called "European Street Scenes," and I've
tuned the textures and lighting for a print on canvas, shooting
for a romantic, painting type feeling. I'm going for a more ideal
vision of reality, to support the image's theme that all of Venice
is a gallery, which the girl in the picture is missing.

Not to say I've achieved my goals, and I really do appreciate
any criticism anyone can offer. I realize it's difficult to offer
negative comments as you don't know how they'll be taken,
but I will take them in the best light, as I know the people here
only mean to help.

This shows the rest of the image, so far...
http://home.hiwaay.net/~slone/venice_html/Venice1024.jpg