POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : 3.6.1 won't compile for me on OSX : Re: 3.6.1 won't compile for me on OSX Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:41:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.6.1 won't compile for me on OSX
From: popov
Date: 3 Feb 2005 10:40:00
Message: <web.420245011d86abe7e0309d820@news.povray.org>
"Miguel" <mig### [at] jmolorg> wrote:
> I originally posted this to the macintosh forum but was told to post here in
> unix-land ...
>
> I would like to run povray from the command line on OSX. I installed the
> Macintosh  version of povray, but it apparently does not include
> command-line access.
>
> I downloaded the 3.6.1 sources.
>
> I ran:
>
> ../configure COMPILED_BY="Miguel <mig### [at] jmolorg>"
>
> And got:
> [snip]
> checking for g++... g++
> checking for C++ compiler default output... configure: error: C++ compiler
> cannot create executables
> See 'config.log' for more details.
>
> config.log shows many environment settings ... not sure which ones you want.
> The last line is
>
> configure: exit 77
>

> My OSX version is 10.3.3 with *no* updates.
>
> Thorsten (mac### [at] povrayorg) says that the unix version is known to
> compile on OSX.
>
> Q: What other data can I provide?
>
> Thanks,
> Miguel

Hi,

You can get this error if a compilation flag for your compiler is not
specified correctly.

For example: If you want to turn on all warnings in gcc
.../configure CXXFLAGS="-Wal" COMPILED_BY="me"

gives: 'C++ compiler cannot create executables'

The correct syntax for this would be:
.../configure CXXFLAGS="-Wall" COMPILED_BY="me"

and configure runs ok.

Note: It is a good practice to turn on all warnings (-Wall) for the gcc

Hope this helps