POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mesh construction (WIP?) : Re: Mesh construction (WIP?) Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh construction (WIP?)
From: stm31415
Date: 2 Feb 2005 17:20:00
Message: <web.4201512c46c5e419df706a580@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote:
> Ah, okay. Yeah, I do that. But the MMM just use a rectangular grid, so I
> save the vertices in the appropriate indices. Not very useful for an
> arbitrary mesh.

Gotcha. That makes sense. It seems to me, however, that a nicely edge-looped
model would be made (largely) of a series of meshes...No, that's not right,
is it. It would be a series of loops, though, and if you could write a
macro to connect the layers... hmmm. I would imagine a giant 3-D array
might work. But I really haven't messed around with this enough. How do you
do it, Shay? I suppose I should ask, do you (either of you) use mesh2 or
mesh? Each seems to have advantages, but I've been using mesh2. The
organization of mesh is easier to unerstand, but it seems to me that the
ability that mesh2 gives, to name vertices outside of a face, multiple times
(i.e. in sets of faces, edges, and corners) would be a help in rounding
macros, etc. Darn it, Shay, how do you do it? Rant, rant! ;) I can't see
how you can get your SDL to keep track of which points belong to which edge
of which face. It looks like I'll be in low-chart mode for a while...

-s
5TF!