POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mesh construction (WIP?) : Re: Mesh construction (WIP?) Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:22:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh construction (WIP?)
From: stm31415
Date: 2 Feb 2005 10:25:00
Message: <web.4200efde46c5e4194be64ba00@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen <ryl### [at] polardcom> wrote:
> stm31415 wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure if I'm going to  take this anywhere, but I was inspired by
> > Shay to try hand coding some meshes. While it was about three hundred
> > billion times harder, it actually gives a sense of realism, to have the
> > edges beveled like that. Interesting texture options, too. Also, this is
> > the first image where I felt my lighting was technically competent.
> > Anyway, tell me what you think.
>
> I like it - especially the detail on the ladder (which I only saw 'cause
> Shay mentioned it). I especially like the red/white box edges. How did you
> do those?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Stefan Viljoen
> Software Support Technician
> Polar Design Solutions

I wrote a macro that makes a beveled box of any size (and bevel) with a
different specified texture for the faces and the bevels. If you use two
different colors, it gives a funky, folded-paper sort of look. I'm not
positive the colors will stay this way, I just like the look.

I had been using file IO to do this, but now I see that Tim Nikias uses
arrays, which might be an interesting thing to try. At the moment, though,
I really have to get to school ;)

-S
5TF!